We know and love their music, but how much do you really know about the band [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Coldplay[/lastfm]? There’s a lot to be learned, especially if you’re the one who wins the trip to see them perform at the exclusive Live on Letterman taping with Coldplay at the intimate Ed Sullivan Theatre in New York City on September 20th! Check out 20 things you didn’t know about the band Coldplay.
1. Coldplay consists of Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland, Guy Berryman, and Will Champion. But they weren’t always know as Coldplay. Before they came up with that band name, they were known as Starfish (Glad they came up with Coldplay instead).
2. The oldest member of the band, Chris Martin, received a degree in Ancient World Studies from University College London, where he met his future Coldplay bandmates.
3. Will Champion first learned how to play guitar, bass, and piano. However, after joining Coldplay in the late 90’s, he quickly learned how to play drums. A man of many talents!
4. What does Chris Martin call Coldplay guitarist Jonny Buckland? His nickname is “Jonny Boy.” Not overly creative, but okay, we’ll take it. What does Jonny like to play? His signature guitar is a Fender Telecaster Thinline. Want one? They start around $800 and go up from there.
5. Coldplay bassist Guy Berryman is left-handed. However, when it comes to slappin’ the bass, he plays righty. Guy is married ladies, sorry. He married his childhood sweetheart, Joanna Briston, in 2004. They have one child, Nico. She was born on 9/17/2006. UPDATE: MIX listener Tracey wrote in letting us know that Guy Berryman is no longer married. So…there is hope ladies!
6. If you’re a member of the paparazzi or you just like jumping out of bushes to take celebrity photos, you might want to think twice before snapping a photo of Chris Martin. He was arrested back in 2003 for destroying a photographer’s car in Australia.
7. What music influences Chris Martin? He’s a big fan of [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Echo and the Bunnymen[/lastfm] and considers the 80’s band [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]A-ha[/lastfm] to be brilliant songwriters.
8. Chris Martin married actress Gwyneth Paltrow on December 5, 2005. They have 2 kids, Apple (pictured above) and Moses.
9. Who did Chris and Gwyneth ask to be the godfather of Apple? Two guys got the call: Jonny Buckland, Coldplay guitarist, and actor friend Simon Pegg (pictured above).
10. In July of 2000, Coldplay released their first full-length album, “Parachutes,” which featured the single “Yellow.” It sold over 2 million copies in the U.S. and it won “Best Alternative Music Album” at the 2002 Grammy Awards.
11. Their follow-up album, “A Rush of Blood to the Head,” was released 2 years later in 2002 and did very well in the states. Their single, “In My Place,” won them a 2003 Grammy and the album went on to win a 2003 Grammy as well for “Best Alternative Album.”
12. Ever wonder what the tattoo on Chris Martin’s hand is? Well, it’s not actually a tattoo, rather an = sign that he writes on there prior to every show. The “equals” sign represents an organization called Make Trade Fair which works to find “lasting solutions to poverty and injustice.”
13. You know the song “Bittersweet Symphony” by [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Verve[/lastfm]? I love that song and Chris Martin does too! Chris was quoted as saying that song is “Probably the best song ever written and the band’s singer, Richard Ashcroft, is the greatest singer of all-time.”
14. If you’ve seen the video for “The Scientist, ” you might find it interesting to know that Chris Martin had to learn the lyrics backwards. This was so the final product, the music video, would show his body in reverse while he sang the lyrics normally.
15. Who did PETA vote as the “World’s Sexiest Vegetarian” in 2005? None other than Mr. Paltrow, Chris Martin.
16. Their 3rd album, X&Y, was released in 2005 and sold over 8 million copies worldwide. It features the singles “Speed of Sound” and “Fix You.” Because of the success of the album, the band set out on their “Twisted Logic Tour” which included 127 tour dates.
17. Coldplay released their 4th album, “Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends,” in June of 2008 and it debuted at #1 around the world. The Spanish term, viva la vida, translates to “long live life.” The album won the Grammy for “Best Rock Album” at the 2009 Grammy Awards.
18. Their upcoming 5th studio album, Mylo Xyloto, is set for release October 24. It includes their new single “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall.”
19. Chris wrote in the song “Moses”:
Come on now, don’t you want to see just what a difference you’ve made in me i’ll be waiting oh no matter what you say cause i’ve been waiting for days and days and days.
The song “Moses” was written for his wife Gwyneth and it also happens to be the name of his son.
20. What does Chris think about getting older and what are his plans? He says, “When I’m 40, too old to be a rock star, I plan to go back to college to study classical music.”
You can still enter our TIC Insider Auction to win a pair of tickets to see Coldplay Live on Letterman in NYC!! Click Here for more!!
And remember to watch Coldplay’s full streaming Live on Letterman concert right here, September 20th at 8 PM ET/ 5 PM PT, presented by AT&T– rethink possible.